Monday, October 19, 2009

edge effects

all images taken with Sony Cyber-shot DSC H7 (checked out from library)

1.green truck unedited: 10/17/09; 3:30 pm; Swan Valley; f 8.0; 1/160
2.green truck edited: adjusted levels and saturation; applied smart filter angled strokes; saved as jpg to flatten layers; reopened and deleted the image before using the history brush tool to “paint” the image back on; added the black border by increasing the canvas size
3.plant unedited: 10/17/09; 1:00 pm; Swan Valley; f 5.0; 1/60
4.plant edited: adjusted levels; changed crop settings (width: 5.5 in, height: 3.15 in; res:150) and cropped the image; added black border by increasing the canvas size (made bottom of black border wider); added text

I really enjoyed the edits this week just because they were such practical things to do (especially the second one where all I did was increase the canvas size) but they make a huge effect in the look of the image and really give it a professional feel. I also never really knew how to use the history brush tool before, but giving the painting effect was a cool way to experiment with that tool. Both of these images were taken in Swan Valley and I love the shallow depth of field on the second one—I actually took it in a huge crater there and I thought the lighting turned out really good.




3 comments:

  1. Great job on the composition of the second shot. It looks amazing! I really like the nice touch of the border and the simple text. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your second shot. Nice composition and simple black border. It really sets the image off nicely. I like your simple text as well. I think the picture of the truck could have used a little levels adjustment, it seems a bit light but it is a nice angle and I like the painted border for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like both of your photos, I think you did a nice job. I like the first one because I think it is really fun when people choose to paint a photo. I am however, not sure if I like the black border with it. I think it works, but I think maybe a different color or different type of border could make it stronger. The second picture is my favorite. I think the black border looks really nice and I love the text with it. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete